Author: La_Maudite (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: 05-19-02 07:07
Courtesy of: Christine Cushing Live
Episode: People's Choice
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening
5 tbsp ice water
2 cup water
1/2 cup cornstarch, plus 2 tbsp.
10 eggs, yolks
1 cup lemon, juice
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
grated zest of 4 lemon
4 eggs, whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon, juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together.
3. With a pastry cutter, blend in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add the ice water gradually until dough forms.
5. Pat the dough into a flat disk and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Roll the dough into a 13-inch round. Place it into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges in a decorative pattern.
7. Pierce the bottom with a fork.
8. Place a piece of parchment or tinfoil in the shell. Fill the shell with pie weights.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. Remove the pie weights and paper and continue to bake about 15 minutes until the pastry is golden and set. Cool on a wire rack.
1. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1 cup of water until dissolved. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan add egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar and the remaining 1 cup of water.
3. Cook over medium low heat for one minute, stirring constantly. The mixture should not boil but the sugar should dissolve.
4. When the sugar has dissolved pour in the cornstarch mixture and turn up the heat to medium.
5. Cook mixture, stirring continuously with a spoon so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom or the sides of the pan.
6. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until it has started to boil, thickens and becomes translucent.
7. Set filling aside to cool slightly.
8. Immediately make meringue so filling stays warm.
1. Whip egg whites on high speed.
2. Immediately add cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form.
3. While whipping, add the sugar one tablespoon at a time to allow it to dissolve.
4. Add the lemon juice at the end when the meringue is shiny and holds medium stiff peaks.
1. Pour the warm filling into the cooled pie shell and spread the meringue on top, making sure to reach the edges of the pastry.
2. Use your spatula to swirl the meringue into peaks.
3. Cook the pie at 375 degrees F. for about 6 minutes until meringue is just golden.